Saturday, January 25, 2014

parenting redemption

During our mini Christmas vacation, we took the kiddos ice skating.  It was 63 degrees in December and we were at an outside rink.  I bundled everyone up like it was -22 because I felt like I should.  A started by immediately falling on her toukus in her snow pants. Surprisingly, she got right back up and tried again.  K. went around the miniscule rink wrapped so tightly in clothing that he could barely walk let alone skate.  10 minutes into the escapade, all of the outer layers and K. were off the ice.  He was hot and done.  A. on the other hand, continued skating for another hour.  By the end, she could skate end to end all by herself with a huge smile on her face.  When we finished, she specifically asked to skate more and go to ice skating lessons.  Sure, I can make that happen.    

We came home and I looked online.  The next county over has them starting the end of January.  No problem.  I was excited, she was excited, everyone was happy.  I should have registered her right away.  I should have printed off the stupid form and driven it over to the rink on my way to work the next day.  I didn't.  In fact, I didn't do it for the next 20 ish days.  I didn't do it until Monday of this week when I went, "Oh CRAP."  I called, the office assistant politely told me that the registration was closed on Friday.  I begged, is there anyone I can talk to.  She gave me a voicemail of the director.  I left a message blatantly admitting to my mistake and being "one of those parents."  I got no return call.  Thursday evening rolled around and I realized that I would have to break the news to her.

me: A. I know that we were going to sign you up for ice skating.  I know you were really excited, but I didn't get the form in on time.

A: quizzical look as I fell from the pedastool that mommy's are on for only a very short time.  "So, can we take it now?"

me: I tried to call a few times this week but I don't think it's going to work out.

A: cry. cry. cry

me: feeling worse and worse and worse.  Is there something else that you would like to try?

A: no, thanks (ps. the politeness made me feel worse)

me: The program was for 3-5 year olds so you probably would rather wait until next year when you can skate with the 6 year olds.

A: I guess so, the 3 year olds might fall on my skates.

me: You can try gymnastics, I think it is all older kids.

A: I guess so...

Friday rolls around and we talk about gymnastics a little bit more.  She's fine with the situation though I still feel like crap.  It's 12:00 pm and I come out of one of my patient's homes.  My phone was ringing and it was .... the skating rink.  If you can get the form here before 4:30 today, we have a spot open.  Done.  I was on my way.  I made an extra stop was in the door in about 15 minutes.  I thanked them about 50 times.  I apologized for being one of "those mom's".  The pregnant receptionist just laughed and gave me a look.  I think she took a vow not to ever be me.  Whatever, my kid will be happy.

I get home and tell A. the news. Her response was, "won't the 3 year olds fall all over me?"  Yeah, so my plan to downplay it apparently worked.  "I'm sure they will be somewhere else.  You get to skate!"

This morning, she woke up super excited.  She said, "I'm so wild because I get to skate today!"




She got on the ice and moved up from the beginners (the 3 year olds) as soon as they saw she could move across the ice.  Her response, "Mommy, the 3 year old didn't get a chance to fall on my skates."  Ahhh, parenting redemption.  

And... 
This little guy was pretty happy jumping around the rink without his snow pants on:)

No comments:

Post a Comment