Tuesday, January 7, 2014

the negotiator


More than one person has told me that the continuous negotiating, that comes with my 5 year old girl, will be good in the long run.  Her grandfather pointed out that she is exactly like her father at 5 years. I apparently liked him enough to keep him around.  But, sometimes, I question my ability to be patient enough to cultivate the negotiation into a good quality.  

Some examples...
1) A: Momma, can I watch a "dinosaur train."
Me: no, you have watched enough TV
A: But, I already turned it on
Me: no, you have watched enough TV
A: But, it's a snow one and it is snowing outside
Me: NOO
A: But, I like dinosaurs and I'm learning about them.
Me: Why are you asking me, if you already have it on downstairs and made up your mind?
A: because, it makes you happy when I ask.

A. 1: Mommy 0

2) A: Mommy, can I go over to my BFF's house
Me: No, you have been there for the past 2 days
A: but, she likes to play with me and I'll ask nicely
Me: I don't even think they are home
A: but, you can text her mom and find out
Me: I think she get's tired of my incessant text messages
A: no, I think she likes it and I"m learning how to be a good friend while I'm over there

A. 2: Mommy 0

3) A: can you play with me?
Me: not right now, I'm making dinner.
A; can you read me a story?
Me: not right now, I"m making dinner.
A. can you talk to me?
Me: I think I am
pause pause
Me: why are you staring at me?
A: I'm learning how your mouth moves

Oh, how I hope that she is a lawyer, or in marketing/ sales.  If nothing else, she will bargain at a yard sale. Until then, God, please give me patience.  


No comments:

Post a Comment