Monday, January 20, 2014

pretty little liar


In the past week, I have learned that this isn't necessarily an honest face.  This little one is apparently experimenting with honesty and what we will do if she lies.  

She came home from school the other day and said, "Mommy, I know you packed me a snack but I told my teacher that you didn't."  She went on to tell me that she didn't like the snack that I packed and would rather have the pretzels that her teacher has for forgetful days.  She said, "I went to my back pack and pretended that I didn't see them there."  Then she said, "at least I'm honest now."  

Well honey, I"m glad that you are honest now.  Here's my honesty.  I don't care about that lie.  But, if I ignore it, you will think that you can lie anytime.  So, I scolded you.  I told you that lying doesn't make sense.  If you had simply told me that you didn't like the snack, I would have packed something else.  Now, you have to do 5 extra chores.  Each chore worth a quarter.  Each quarter to pay your teacher back for the snack that you lied to get.  

I would think that it made some sort of impact except that she came home on the bus a few days later and said, "I lied again.  I guess I need more chores."  Ummm ok.  The lie:  "I told my friends on the bus that my eyeball popped out before and that I put it back in."  How do you not laugh at that? I responded with something like, "that doesn't even make sense."  I then did what every mom that has no idea how to handle a situation does... "What should we do about that?" I asked.  She replied, "Well I guess I can give them each a quarter to still be my friend."  pause.... stare..... pause.... questioning look from A.... confused look from Mommy....   "I think an apology would be better. We don't pay our friends money.  You paid your teacher for the pretzels not to like you."  

I do have to admit that I told her to apologize but I didn't follow up.  Is it terrible that I kind of didn't want her to apologize because then they might make fun of her or may not be her friend?  I know that could be the natural consequence, but it doesn't mean I want it for my kid.  Hopefully, they accepted it with the same, "who cares?", that I accepted the snack lie.  Hopefully, they will still love my pretty little liar.  If not, I guess we will deal with that too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment