Saturday, January 18, 2014

for the Richmonders... for Meg

I'm not a runner.  I actually hate running.  I love how it makes me feel afterward, but, in my mind, each step is awful.  However, I got up this morning and ran.  Why?  Because I could and because so many of the people that I know were impacted by the loss of Meg Cross Menzies.

Though I LOVE where I live now, Richmond will always be in my heart.  It is a small town in a big city.  It's where we had our first house, my first job, our first dog, and my first out of school friends.  It's where we got married and where I got my graduate degree.  I don't go back often, but I cry every time that I leave. I think the entire community has rallied this week after a wife of a policeman and a mother of 3 was killed by a drunk driver while running.  My news feed has been blowing up today as the community vowed to "finish her run"  It's amazing.  It's awe inspiring.  It's so sad.


While I was running a measely 3 miles (I can't lie, I walked part of it), I was praying.  
Praying for 1) My friends Heather and Julie.  Both members of the Richmond running community.  Both directly affected by her loss.  Girls, I hope you feel supported.  

2) Meg's children and her husband.  They have a long life that was forever changed.  And, they are entering in to some very public grieving time.  Grieving is never easy, but grieving with an entire community watching is even harder.


3) The children of the driver that hit Meg.  Like I said before, I did not know Meg.  I don't even know the names of the children of the driver.  But, I do know that there are 3 of them.  That they have already lost their mother in a car accident, they dealt with a father with Leukemia, and now they are dealing with a father in jail and a community that is speaking out about what he did.  These teenagers have a lot to overcome.  I'm praying that they also find support from family and friends.  I'm praying that they can forgive and have a relationship with their father.  I'm praying that they can somehow overcome yet another tragedy in their short lives and find happiness.  

After my run, I came home to my husband and kids.  I have been struggling a bit lately with life balance and finding patience.  Today though, I felt especially blessed.  Thanks, Meg and Thanks, Richmond for renewing my spirit.      

No comments:

Post a Comment