Saturday, December 1, 2012

I know how it happens now

B. and I. have instituted a strict 2 activity rule for our kids at least while they are young.  The background reasoning came from research that I found when I was working on a presentation for work that talked about the change in play in children stemming from receiving direction ALL the time. Basically, how will they learn to be independent and have an imagination when they have someone always telling them what to do.  Stand in this line here, kick this ball now, run through there etc.

A. has tried dance, swimming, and gymnastics. If you remember, she initially HATED swim lessons and it was the bane of my existence.  She sometimes liked dance and sometimes hated it (much to my chagrin since I danced for years in middle and high school)  So far, she has loved gymnastics.  On her first day, despite the fact that I walk in with my scrubs on and about 7 files to do paperwork, I loved watching her.  I loved how she paid attention to her teachers and how she seemed to have more adventure than many of her other classmates.  When the class was over, the teacher came up to me and said that she was amazed at how strong A. was.  A. could hold herself up on the bar for an "angel hold" on her first try.  I smiled and said thank you when another mom chimed in, "if she works hard, she can probably make preteam."  and there you have it, I almost got sucked in.  What, the elite 4 year olds?  In my mind, she was standing on the podium for her gold medal.  If the manager had followed with, only 4 classes a week for $1 million dollars, I might have taken out a loan.  It actually took A. saying, "Mommy, I'm dressed." to get me out of the gym and back to reality.  Reality that she doesn't need to find her passion at age 4 and I don't really want her to.  Reality that though she may be strong, she is also really, REALLY tall which doesn't make for a gymnasts body.

So, for now, A. will keep doing her 1x a week classes and we'll see if our new town has a gym in it's near by surroundings...




No comments:

Post a Comment