Sunday, December 23, 2012

calm before the storm

Christmas is busy.  I make a conscious effort to be calm and focus on what my pastor called the humble happenings of Christ coming when no one else was around.  It was no big deal, just Mary, Joseph, and some animals.  But, it doesn't work.  We end up running around shopping and baking and visiting.  I feel like we are getting ready for something every single night.  Don't get me wrong, it makes me happy, but it also makes me stressed.

This year is especially CRAZY.  Our moving date is Dec 29.  We first started this process last February so it is a LONG time coming.  But, I think I would have rather had any other week in the year but this one.  We are dividing and conquering.  B. is wrapping while I pack the kids rooms.  B. is taking down curtains while I am coloring Christmas pictures with the kids.

But, on Wednesday, glorious Wednesday, we didn't leave the house.  The kids woke up at 7:00 (super late for them) and then we came down for breakfast.  We didn't get out of our pajamas until 11:00.  K. wanted his binky and lovie so I put him in bed around 11:10 and he hung out in there reading books for over an hour while A. and I made and decorated salt dough ornaments all while listening to Christmas music.  All 3 of us took naps... from 1-4.  No one cried, no one rushed, and all was well.

Today, we start the final rush.  Nan and Pap came today and under our tree is FULL.  Tomorrow I work while the rest of the family will cook and will make Christmas crafts.  Tuesday we will do nothing but play and celebrate and love each other.  Then Wednesday... Wednesday starts the chaos.  We will pack the remainder of our house.  Thursday, B. and I have the final walk through and then we both have to work for awhile before making sure all of our 6 years of clutter is packed away.  Friday we have a wonderful team of people coming to paint and put up lights and blinds.  Then, Saturday the movers come and we head over the bridge.  I'm sad and happy all at the same time.  I'm excited and nervous.  I'm thankful, gracious, and overwhelmed.  Mostly, I"m trying to balance the chaos that is moving with the humble happenings in which I want my family to focus.

Merry Christmas from our REALLY bright tree.  I promise the star doesn't really look like we captured the northern lights and put them in our living room.  My camera is weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment