Sunday, October 2, 2011

the long road home

When you are married to a person that works weekends, you spend a lot of time alone with kids.  We also take a lot of trips and weekend getaways by ourselves or with family.  This weekend, I dropped A. and K. off at my parents house while I went to a really good friend's bridal shower (soooo happy that I got to see everyone).  Anyway, both of my kids are pretty good in the car but some days are definitely better than others.  Today, we were taking the 90 minute trip up the road when about 25 minutes into our trip K. started to lose it. I'm talking screaming and thrashing in his car seat.  I pulled over one time to give him a bink and a few toys to no avail.  So, A. and I started singing.  We started with his song, "K. God claims you, God helps you, protects you, and loves you too."  It worked for a few minutes.  That got old for him and for us.  A quick glance at the clock revealed a whopping 5 minutes had passed, that leaves about 1 hour left. We started in on the ABC's, tried "head, shoulders, knees and toes" though was quickly told, "Mommy, that isn't a car song."  OK...  I tried "He's got the whole world in his hands."  I thought it would be good because we could look around us and make up verses.  That worked for about 4 verses, probably 2 minutes.  Then A. said, "He's got Pastor Rebecca in the sky."  What?  Pastor Rebecca is our pastor at church but in the sky?  It doesn't even fit in the verse.  (I know you are singing it in your head right now...) She was insistent.  So, I sang it once and then tried to move on.  Nope, "I want that again, Mommy."  OK, one more time.  3 more times and I refused to sing it again.  As a result, K. started screaming again.  I tried a different song and A. yelled "No, Mommy, I want Pastor Rebecca in the sky again."  So, here's the choice, K. crying or repetitively singing the same 4 verse song over and over.    I chose song and for 10 minutes I was laughing hysterically at the ludicrousness of a preschooler and an infant.  Until, finally, I refused.  I continued with the ridiculous behavior and started a new song; I just sang louder than both kids screaming until A. gave up and joined me and K. just wouldn't stop anyway. Well, that's 45 minutes of my life I won't get back.      

No comments:

Post a Comment