Thursday, October 27, 2011

yep, we're doing it

K. checking out a pumpkin his own size

"One of the marks of a certain type of bad man is that he cannot give up a thing himself without wanting every one else to give it up. That is not the Christian way. An individual Christian may see fit to give up all sorts of things for special reasons--marriage, or meat, or beer, or the cinema; but the moment he starts saying the things are bad in themselves, or looking down his nose at other people who use them, he has taken the wrong turning."- C.S. Lewis

I like Halloween for kids.  I haven't been a fan as an adult, I feel like an idiot in a costume and I'm a loser that likes to go to bed early rather than drink away the fact that I feel like an idiot.  But, I like it for my children.  I love how excited that A. is to wear one of her costumes day after day for the weeks leading up to Halloween.  I like little snickers bars and mounds bars, I like pumpkins, and I like meeting more of our neighbors.  To me, it was never a question. I never researched Halloween, I never tried to "make the decision"  It wasn't a decision to be made.  But, I was actually asked the question this week by one of the parents of a kid that I treat.  We decided not to hold our cooking group from 3:30-4:30 since I'm sure some of my kiddos would rather be at home donning their fairy wings and super hero capes. She said, "I'm surprised you are cancelling group next week since you are a Christian."  I was VERY caught off guard since 1) I was at work where I am very guarded about my faith with the exception of the cross I sometimes wear around my neck 2) in my mind, one has nothing to do with the other.  Why does everything have to be such a decision instead of a fun time?    


I guess it did make me question the basis of the holiday though I still never questioned if A. could wear her pink leopard costume and still love Jesus.  So, here is what I learned (this is a summary from www.history.com, I'm not an expert nor claiming to be) 
 Origin- The first celebrations started as the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain on Nov. 1, the end of the harvest season.   The Celts believed that on the night before the new year, our land and the after life blurred together and people who died returned to earth.  It was believed that these ghosts would cause trouble to the crops but would also allow the priests to make predictions about the future. They built bonfires to burn crops and sacrifice animals all while wearing costumes and telling each other's fortunes. 

Evolution #1- year 740- The Pope decided to move the feast of All Martyrs Day from May to November 1, probably to replace the Celtic festival with a related but church- sanctioned holiday. The combination holiday was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels and devils.
Evolution #2- mid 19th century- Halloween comes to America- Celebrations were public events to celebrate the harvest.  Neighbors would share stories of the dead, tell each other's fortunes, dance and sing.
Evolution #3- mid 1900's- Immigrants were coming from everywhere but many from Ireland to flee the potato famine.  People would dress up and ask for food or money.-- so begins trick or treating
Evolution #4- 1950's- Trick or treating was revived and changed to give small treats to ward off the mischief that had started to surround the holiday.

So, my more educated decision to the nonquestion is this community holiday is pretty far from its origins though it has been influenced by people of faith.  I recognize that I got all of my information from 1 source going against a strict rule by my 10th grade English teacher, but I am more convinced that I can hand out candy and still be a Christian.  So, we will go to the fall festival hosted by the church down the street, go to trunk or treat hosted by our church, go to A.'s parade at her school, and then finish it off with trick or treating.  Then we'll come home on a sugar high and say our prayers before we go to bed.    
A. painting her pumpkins that she got from bible school today
K.'s reaction to being told he can't go trick- or treating... or his response to spinach... hhhmmm

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of K! The hat is adorable and well, crying pictures are always fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents never allowed me to celebrate halloween as a child and it was alsways so awkward and uncomfortable.(and honestly still is) We were not allowed to trick or treat or participate in any activities related to the holiday, including school activities even in High School.(awkward) However, D and I have made the decision to celebrate Halloween. WE just like to keep it lighthearted and fun, not scary. God does not want us to feel afraid -so that is my only adversion. Just thought I would share my thoughts as a fellow Christian friend. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete