Friday, June 21, 2013

reviving izzy

A. has been into "doing hair" for a really long time.  The obsession has actually died down recently but she will still ask to play with my hair sometimes.  She used to like it so much that if I went to get my haircut without her, she would bring up her sadness repetitively for several days.  The hair dresser that used to cut my hair before we moved loved A. and would give her one of those freaky doll heads to play with the entire time she was there.  The stylist gave her different hair clips and even taught her to braid (well sort of).  So, for Christmas, Santa brought her a doll with a salon chair and hair accessories.  I wish that I had a picture but, well we moved 2 days after Christmas and I think my head wasn't in capturing the moment as it should have been.  Anyway, A. played with this doll for about 2 hours on the first day.  We were so excited that Santa had brought a winning gift.  Well, we got everything moved into our new house and Izzy did not return as a favorite toy.  Izzy was sitting in A.'s room with a plastic bag holding on her hair.  I asked her what on earth was happening and A. said, her hair was too tangled so she had to wear a babushka.  I have no idea where she got the idea but Izzy's hair was obviously not fit for public viewing.  We tried to brush it out a few times and it would finish with a broken hairbrush and a sad, angry little girl.  So, she would return to the corner with her punishment babushka on her head.  During my glorious 2 weeks at home with the kids, A. and I decided to attempt to revive Izzy again.  I did what every confused mother does and googled "tangled doll hair."  And of course, there were 78,300 results.  After sifting through the first few happy supermom blogs with obvious success, the consensus seemed to be a wire brush and soaking in fabric softner.  So, poor izzy no longer had a shameful babushka, she soaked head first in a bowl on our counter for 24 hours.
 24 hours of soaking and about 2 hours of intermittent brushing and I'm ad to say that I am not posting about my supermom status.  She was loosing hair by the fistful and the rest was not coming untangled. My wrist hurt and A. had given up after the first 3 minutes.  So, Izzy got a haircut.  We decided that if Izzy's hair wouldn't be fun for braiding and ponytails, the little stylist would get to use actual scissors.  So, Izzy now has short hair which surprisingly is pretty even.  A. had about 2 hours of entertainment, and now Izzy sits in the corner without a babushka.  Sorry, Santa, your gift wasn't the favorite afterall.  Better luck next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment