Monday, January 16, 2012

tidbits

I have been meaning to update about several of these things over the last week or so; I decided to just put them all together in one big bunch.
1. A. LOVES her preschool.  Some of the kids have come over from her old school so she has been with them from 10 weeks of age.  Some are new.  Her "favorite"friend is Josh.  Apparently she told him that he was her best friend and he said "no".  Her daddy is happy about this.  I think it's funny.  A. seems to not care about the rejection, he is still her favorite friend.  Josh likes the Ravens.  A. was cheering wildly for the Ravens on Sunday.  Josh is not winning over B.
2. I was trying to explain Martin Luther king day to A. We talked about how MLK was a man who wanted to treat everyone equal.  I could see her really thinking and I was really proud that she was understanding and contemplating.  I showed her his picture and continued with how we should help others on that day.  She finally interrupted me and asked why the picture was of a big man.  Confused, I said that was Martin Luther King.  Turns out, she was not contemplating the day of service, but confused as to why Mark and Lori King Day (Mark and Lori are our really good friends that we hang out with all the time) had a picture of a unfamiliar black man instead of 2 very familiar white people.
3. I read a blog recently about teaching young children about strangers.  Basically, the gist was to teach the little ones to plop on their bottoms if they get lost and not get up until their parents, someone that they know, or a policeman come to help.  If someone else tries to pick them up, teach them to scream, "That's not my Mommy, or That's not my Daddy."  I tried to teach some of these principles to A.  As I screamed, she again looked at me like I'm crazy (this is a familiar look these days) and then said, "but you are my mommy."  We obviously have a long way to go.  
4. K. has an affinity for balloons.  This was a balloon for Granny J.'s birthday but it is now K.'s favorite toy.  This has not left his hand all day.  He crawls with it, shakes it, bounces it on the wall.  Very fun and only slightly dangerous.

K.'s other favorite pastime, looking at us from upside down between his legs.
5. A. is starting to read some sight words.  "I, it, and to"  Yes, I saved this for last because I'm sure everyone has stopped reading by this point and I just wanted to document this date so we'll remember it in the future.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment