Friday, January 6, 2012

another first

I have been keeping a calendar of all of K.'s firsts.  First bath, first smile, first giggle etc.  This first, however, is blogworthy.  On Dec. 18th, K. had his first tootsie roll.  This is not the sticky chocolate that would probably kill my child, it is dried beef with a center filling.  It is a family tradition that you must love to be a true Wiseman.  I believe the story was that my grandfather enjoyed these little bites of goodness at a party when he was part of the secret service.  He then asked my grandmother, Mommom, to get the recipe.  She did and we have them at every family function.  We even had a batch at our wedding and one of my favorite wedding memories was B. and I having our first "married tootsie roll" with my brother. As my grandmother got older, the taste was a bit, um, stronger.  Now, my cousin Heather, has taken on the task and she is doing a fantastic job! 

K. is definitely a Wiseman because he ate 2 and would have continued if I wasn't selfish and wanted a few for myself!

"Maybe too much Worcestershire, no, it's good"

My uncles looking on at this very important event
Here is the recipe in my cousins terms:
1 lb of dried beef
2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese
6-8 dollops of Texas Pete or Hot Sauce
6-8 dollops of Worcestershire
2-3 tsp of Garlic powder
1/3 ish cup of Horse radish
1-2 shakes of Onion Powder

Spread on dried beef, roll, and refrigerate over night before cutting

Jason says cutting is not essential but it is recommended by Bryan. 

This hangs on the side of my refrigerator and makes me smile when I catch a glimpse of it from time to time.

K. I'm glad you are now a true Wiseman!

No comments:

Post a Comment