Sunday, January 30, 2011

what not to say to a pregnant woman

I am now 33 weeks pregnant (8 months for those of you not living in the land of pregnancy).  Most of the time people are very nice and I haven't even really had the random belly patting that so many people hate.  But, I have experienced 2 very wierd statements from people I don't even really know. 
1) A private duty nurse for one of the kiddos at work came up to me and asked how far along I was.  At that point, I was probably between 22 and 25 weeks (Idon't remember exactly).  She then said, "You are progressing nicely, I can even tell from behind now."  hhhmmmm..... are you saying my butt is really big?  I didn't really respond just kind of smiled and walked away.  Seriously, I'm not sure where she is from, just that she has a thick accent, but I'm not sure that telling someone their ass is huge is acceptable in any culture.
2) I stopped at Lowes the other day to pick up a few things as we are redoing the nursery for the babe to come.  This very kind woman offered to help me carry the paint bucket.  I declined b/c I'm not an invalid, just pregnant.  Anyway, it started a conversation and she again, asked how far along I am.  I told her I'm due in March.  She replied with, "March?!? Well, it is good for the baby to have such a big home."  Seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment