Saturday, May 28, 2016

Texas football?

We aren't living in VA anymore.  Nor, are we raising our kids in the 1980's.  So, I should have known that lacrosse in MD in 2016 is an entirely different ballgame.  I know that I wrote about our first week of lacrosse before, but, I have been so surprised, that I feel like I should revisit the topic of my first year as a lacrosse mom.  

1) K. has improved DRAMATICALLY since the first practice.  He now knows how to cradle and somewhat knows each position.

That means that he learned to shadow on defense.  It means that he and one guy from the other team are stuck together like glue.  It means that the other kid may or may not throw dirt in his face and I have to stand on the sidelines and pretend that I don't want to go wallop that kid in the face.  It means that K. May or may not poke a kid repeatedly with his stick and I have to pretend that I don't want to go wallop my own kid with said stick and tell him to behave.  

It also means that when he is on offense, I have have to watch him stand with his stick up as the bigger boys throw and catch the ball over his head.  It means that I have to be ok when they aren't nice and toss the ball to him.  It means I have to realize that he will learn eventually and that being one of the youngest on the team will give him more years to learn.

2) The team has gelled a lot more and the parents are at least cordial.  I still may be dealing with a bloody nose on the sidelines by myself, but, they do at least acknowledge our presence.  

3) The coaches, these guys are amazing.  Much to my initial chagrin, they are good role models and they are teaching discipline on the side lines.  They allowed fun, encouraged sportsmanship, and kept my boy's interest peaked the entire season. 

So, we apparently have a little laxer.  And I, apparently have a lot to learn to be a sports mom.  




No comments:

Post a Comment