Saturday, May 28, 2016

Missing the point

Sometimes, I think that I'm helping to take my kiddo to the next level.  I expect her to come to some amazing understanding of herself and those around her.  I expect her to have automatic compassion and really feel for others.  Then, I have to remember that she is only 7 and though she may be picking up small tidbits of life lessons here or there, she still has a ways to go.  One of these times was when we went to go see Bethany Hamilton.  A., whom loves all things ocean, found interest in Bethany Hamilton after watching her movie Soul Surfer.  She has watched the move no less than 15 times.  Bethany's true character demonstrating compassion, determination, truthfulness, and loyalty all come across in the movie.  So, when I saw that she was coming to Deleware, I bought us tickets for the brunch.  I had these visions that A. And I would listen to her story and be able to talk about how A. And Bethany are alike.  I thought she could learn from her about confidence and body image.  I, clearly, thought A. was at least 15 years old.

What it really turned out to be was A. Having brunch, wanting a book, then wanting to hear about the shark attack, then wanting to hear about Bethany meeting Winter and Hope at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, then having to go to the bathroom, then feeling hungry again, then wanting more juice.   When Bethany began to talk about all the things that I envisioned, A. Zoned out.  It was too much.  It was over her head.  I started to get frustrated.  I pulled her squirmy self onto my lap and practically willed her to understand.  Then, she turned and kissed my cheek and I realized that she is still a little girl.  I realized that she still has so far to go.  I realized that she has time for the big topics and big conversations.  I realized that she may not even remember a single thing about the event but she will hopefully remember that I took her there.  I realized that these little bits of conversation may eventually build up into her head and make sense but for now, knowing that I'm her biggest ally and that I want her dreams to come true is enough.  So today, I helped to make a dream come true!

A.,  You are my dream come true!  I hope that I can help make yours come true as well!
Love, Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment