Tuesday, February 25, 2014

one way to confirm a party

Sometimes, things just don't go as planned.  Tonight was one of those...

I picked up the kiddos from the bus to go get a hair cut.  I figure, I should get mine done too.  Why not knock out 2 appointments at 1 time. I figure that if I start while the kids are still excited then we should theoretically be done at the same time.  Well, today, is the only day that 3 stylists are available at one time.  It means that K. is done before my hair is even washed.  It means that I am pinned in a chair with no real way to keep K. quiet.  He spends about 22 seconds reading the books that we brought and then we revert to the phone.  When he is in my lap, he will spend 20 minutes doing puzzles or playing the letter game on my phone. Apparently, when he is in a store, he will spend 2 minutes doing puzzles on my phone and then get frustrated and drop it on the floor while trying to come over and get some help.  Thankfully, just as I was getting worried that I would leave with half a head of cut hair, another 3 year old came in and K. immediately became shy and did not want to leave my side.  Usually, I would encourage socialization.  Today, I encouraged shyness.

We got home and I was making a quick dinner of spaghetti before the babysitter came over to watch the kids so I could go to a meeting at church.  Quick dinner means that I can also get the soup ready for the crock pot tomorrow.  I put some tomatoes in the oven to roast... tomatoes quartered with some oil on 425 for 20 minutes.  No big deal.  About 10 minutes into my super mom status earning plight, I smell burning.  Not a small charred tomato.  No, a full fledged flame in the oven.  Crap.  Turn off the oven. Shut the door.  No O2 means no fire.  I'm getting the fire extinguisher ready just in case as the smoke detector starts binging.  The binging actually is an automatic starter for children crying in my house. Binging in combination with a just in case fire extinguisher is apparently an automatic freak out screaming almost running out of the house fear in my children.  

1 minute later, fire is out, window is open, binging stops.  Now,  the johnny come lately actual alarm to our monitored system starts.  The reassured children are no longer reassured and begin crying again.  Crap again.  I have no idea the code (don't worry, I know it now).  Of course, alarm system does not call my phone, they call B's phone.  So, all alarms are ringing, my children are crying, and now the phone too.  Thankfully, I answer it and after B is reassured that his family is ok, he goes to call the alarm system.  Just then, I hear the local sound that Small Town America alerts when the fire trucks are unleashed. Crap for a third time.  CANCEL IT!  B. calls immediately and they are called off.  

5 minutes later, spaghetti is done, tomatoes are now fire roasted, babysitter has arrived.  Best of all, the fire truck 3rd birthday party that we set up while A. was in the ambulance a  few weeks ago, is now confirmed. Hopefully, the actual party will not be as eventful.      

No comments:

Post a Comment