Monday, February 10, 2014

a challenge

When A. started Kindergarten, we gave up her daycare.  Thankfully, as a home health OT, my job is pretty flexible.  I schedule my patients when I can fit them in our busy routine.  As long as I hit my productivity, I can see them whenever I wanted  I blissfully thought, I will see 2 days of 5 patients and 2 days of 4 patients.  That gives me 1 day a week home with K.  I then scheduled (thankfully, only in my head), that I would volunteer in her classroom 1 time a month.  Let me tell you folks, that has happened one month.  I volunteered in her classroom Wed Oct 9th.  Since then, she has been off a day, early dismissal, snow day, snow/ fog delay, K. off for something, or sick every single week.  Since Oct. 14, I have been juggling my schedule, recalling patients, and feeling overall unreliable.  I've used about every friend that we have, called grandparents in for a few days, and had B. stay home sometimes. This momma is throwing in the towel.

This is how today went:
Last night at 5:30- snow started
6:10 pm- snow stopped after about 1/2 inch
B says, I'll bet she has a delay tomorrow.  I immediately begin running through which patient I can move and have a hard time since my morning is all evaluations that I pused because of the dreaded flu bug last week. I deny that it could possibly happen AGAIN
5:28 am- my phone rings.  "Hello, this is the public school system.  To hear an important message from the school system please press 1."  I press one as I fight the urge to throw the phone across the room.  90 minute delay
5:29- I start running through my day, trying to figure out which poor patient has to be delayed 90 minutes.
5:35- B- tries to comfort me saying,"you are really doing a good job."
5:36- I fight the urge to throw the phone at him and beg to be a stay at home mom
5:40- B says, I just ran through some numbers in my head and I can't figure out how to let you do that.  I have already moved on and forgotten what I asked.  He gets brownie points for trying though:)
7:15- A comes down and we tell her that she has a 90 minute delay- "For that?!?" she asks.  I concur sweet heart.
8:00-9:30- The positive side of delays--

  Dear fog/ snow/ professional days/ silly holidays/ early dismissal, and sickness,
STOP!
Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment