Tuesday, September 3, 2013

little wings

Today may be a typical day in most people's houses, but it is always an important day in ours.  It is the end of the summer.  That means that we just have aerification on the golf course and then Daddy is around MUCH more.  For Daddy, it means that we are at the farthest point from July and August.  Today though, is one for the history books for us.  It is the first day of Kindergarten.  That meant that we have an overly excited 5 year old and an exceptionally emotional mother.  It means that our morning was filled with A. trying out her back pack and fitting in her lunch box. Yet, I just wanted to throw the back pack and school clothes in a huge box with a key and never unlock it.

I've really been reflecting on this moment because I always thought I would be a mom that was excited about school.  I loved every part of preschool; the classroom, the letters on the wall, the schedule, and, the fact that A. didn't have to go every day.  But now, my child will be in someone else's hands all day long.  I"m sure they are good hands, but they are still someone else's. I've been listening to other moms talking about this day and all their worries, "Will there be enough time at lunch?" "How will she find her classroom?"  "Will she be able to find someone if she is scared?"  I've thought about all of these worries and realized that I'm not really worried.  I"m just sad.  I'm just going to miss her.  I'm going to miss our Wed mornings when we cook together and then clean together and then I watch her do a project.  I'm going to miss her constantly saying, "What can I do next?"


I've spent the last week tearing up at every little thing thinking, well it's the last time we can do this on a Wed. or I guess we will have to go back to earlier bed times.  But today, everything was perfect.  My little one walked to the bus stop about 35 feet ahead of us because either A. she is already too cool for us or B. we just walk too slowly.  She stood there for the obligatory pictures and then just got right on the bus.  She didn't even wave.  snapped about 1000 pictures while drying tears from my eyes because I am sooooo proud of her.  She is ready.  So, I will take my overly emotional self to another corner so as not to ruin her moment; her moment of pure joy and excitement!!  And, I'll think about the sign that I randomly saw in 3 of my patient's homes this week, "I think our job as parents is to give our kids roots to grow and wings to fly"-- Deborah Norville






Fly, baby girl, fly!!!


PS- photos by my amazing friend Emily St. Louis-- emilystlouisphotography.zenfolio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment