Monday, April 16, 2012

not me monday

Most of the "Not Me Mondays" are of my children making huge messes.  I don't care about messes so there tend to be a lot of them in our house.  However, this one is different.  I actually am quite embarrassed by this "Not Me Monday".

Since K. is down to breast feeding only 2 times a day, I can not use it as my main weight loss/ fitness program.  We have been going on family runs 3-4 times a week.  B. pushes the 2 kiddos in the jogging stroller and I try to contain our 2 dogs.  Usually, Cooley stops to pee while Aspen is running forward so that I end up being yanked in 2 directions.  2 seconds later, Aspen stops to pee while Cooley is running forward.  This happens a good 4-5 times during the run.  We've been going out about 1.5 miles and then turning around to run back.  During the last 3/4 mile, A. runs with us.  Then, B. and I are high kneeing it, ready to stop on a dime to not run over A. all the while yanking the 2 dogs to keep them under control.  Needless to say, we are quite a scene and I may be better off finding yet another way to keep active.  A., however, loves these runs.  She asks almost every day if we are going.  Our friend Emily suggested we sign her up for a kids fun run since she likes it so much.  I think/ thought this would be a great idea to keep her encouraged.

So, Saturday morning A. and I went out for our first run with out the stroller.  I was excited.  I didn't know how far she would make it but I figured we could walk intermittently.  I did still take the dogs b/c I figured it wouldn't be such a big deal when i would be stopping for her anyway.  We got all ready including leashing up the dogs, strapping the ipod to her arm with the volume all the way up so that she could hear it with out headphones.  She was ready!!

We made it 1 block when Cooley did his first pee stop.  However, when he stopped and Aspen kept going, I was yanked and A. tripped over the leash.  Down she went.  She got a skinned knee which according to her was bleeding on the inside.  She didn't just cry, she wailed.  She wanted a bandaid and she wanted it right then.  I thought for a second and decided that if we went back, unleashed the dogs, got the bandaid, and comforted her from all the unnecessary drama, we would never leave.  So, I pushed her onward.  "You can do it, you'll be fine.  Running will make it better"  She didn't agree and as I kept going with a sobbing child behind me for 2 more blocks, I decided to stop and talk to her.  "A. you are fine, its not bleeding, and I know you like to run.  Lets keep moving."  "Ok. Mommy,"  We start again, and the crying begins again.  Seriously, I was starting to get a little angry now at the unnecessary drama.  "A. no more crying, we can sing, or talk, or listen to music, but we are done crying."  Her little lip quivered but she said, ok, and we started again.  We were now about .5 miles from the house.  I decided to try to motivate her to go up to the local elementary school playground.  Now, she is more stomping than running, and is continuing to whine.  "A. pick up your feet, you aren't even running."  Now, I probably would have realized my ridiculousness on my own but looking to my right seeing a nice family out washing their car looking at me like I was a horrible person as my 3.5 year old child is screaming and I'm yelling at her to pick up her feet.  To make it worse "Red solo cup" was playing on her ipod.  Now, I'm not only a slave driver but one that encourages under age drinking.

Reevaluation time.  "Do you want to go to the playground?"
"No, I just want to go home."

We went the short cuts, got back to our neighborhood playground and miraculously, her knee began to feel better.  she played for about 15 minutes and then decided she could run home.

Moral of the story, add to the ridiculousness that is running with 2 kids and 2 dogs by adding a fanny pack complete with band aids.  And, maybe be a little more understanding of a 3.5 (I'm sorry, according to A. she is 3 and 2/3 now) year old girl.


2 comments:

  1. You are a bad mother. You need to come back to KKI to work, that is the only way to solve this dilemma : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss kki but who needs to come back when I can still get your heartfelt comments here. ;)

    ReplyDelete