Monday, July 28, 2014

phelps in training

When A. was born, the NICU team was called in for some reason that I have now blocked from my mind.  What I do remember, is the nurses not paying any attention to the child that was forth coming from my body because Michael Phelps was winning his 8th gold medal. Maybe it was a premonition for her future because, according to my husband, that will be the story that Matt Lauer discusses when A. goes to the 2024 or 2028 Olympics for swimming. The other option is that Lauer focuses on the fact that B. will also be there for air rifle and that they are the only father daughter duo.  Since he has yet to pick up an air rifle, I will go for option 1 of the 2 unlikely options.

Olympic bound or not, this girl has loved swimming this summer.  For a kiddo that loses interest quickly, there has not been one day where she tried to avoid practice.


 I can't say that she has won every race, or even that I have left every meet feeling like she tried her hardest.  But, it has been a good lesson for me in finding balance between pushing her a little and letting her enjoy her summer, and a good lesson for her in her first team sport.  During her 3rd meet, she swam 3/4 of the way down and then stopped and looked around.  I found a yell coming out of my mouth to, "KEEP SWIMMING" Then, I appallingly yelled, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, KEEP GOING."  Once she finished, I took a deep breath and looked around me to see if anyone noticed.  I'm not sure if they did but no one was giving me the terrible parent award.  I think, I gave that to myself.  Calm down lady, she is only 5.
  The above picture is at the swimathon at the end of the season.  Both sets of grandparents pledged $5 per length since I advised them that 5 laps is probably her max.  Much to my surprise, she did 22 lengths.  Obviously, she stopped at each end; she had 15 seconds before taking off again.  It was awesome and I think my cheering as she finished hopefully made up for my yelling when she didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment