Thursday, January 24, 2013

parallel play

Parallel is very developmental for ages 2-5.  It's the first form of social play.  So, it is very appropriate for both of my children.  You know who has passed this developmental stage?  Me.  However, I feel like every night I am practically begging my kids to play something while I am getting things done around the house.    There is only so much time in the day and we've got dinner to make, dishes to wash, and then pictures to hang, boxes to unpack etc.  I mean, I am next to them, isn't that good enough?  The answer is no.  It's very unlike me not to join them.  So, I've been feeling guilty about this and it's been showing more and more in my kids.  I should be flattered that they want to play with me.  I should love that they want my attention.

Tonight, we found a happy medium.  We played Cinderella.  After all, in the beginning, all Cinderella does is work work work. I cleaned almost the entire kitchen while singing some stupid song "all I have to do is clean.  nothing is fun..."  A. was busy reading proclamations that everyone can come to the ball and then saying she was Gus Gus and making my dress.
 Add in a daddy to play prince and do a few dances while K and I magically turned into the step sisters and there is one big happy nonarguing, nonshooing the kids into the other room family.  Now, I just have to convince them that it should be a nightly ritual and we are all set.

Yes, all 3 of us are wearing the little play shoes.  And, yes, I  did do the dishes in this dress with those tiny shoes.



I'm not sure who the prince is in this picture but  K. is definitely getting having his first dip.


No comments:

Post a Comment