Monday, January 7, 2013

here we go

Yet again, I find myself really far behind.  I have posts to write about the calmest Christmas yet craziest Christmas ever.  I have a post to write about how humbled, grateful, and loved I felt as a team of Collins and Wiseman's spanning from age 1 to 85 helped pack, load, and unload our new house.  I have a post about the overwhelming emotions of leaving the home where I brought my children home for the first time.  All of these have been spinning in my head but as I drop to the bed a night exhausted from Christmasing, and unpacking, and returning to work, they have been put off.  Today, I'm writing about something else though...

There were 3 main things that we really felt we were going to miss as we traveled the 44 miles to our new house.
1) Wednesday dinners.  These dinners that started after our friend Brian passed away.  when they started, we all had good intentions but I think we all thought we would do them for awhile and then it would quietly drop off.  Thankfully, that wasn't the truth.  We met every week for dinner for over 2 years (minus a few here and there).  They started before the boys were born and when we all fit at one table.  They grew to needing a kids table and lots of toys.  We switched houses to accommodate sleeping schedules and lets be honest a greater selection of wine :)  Every week we would discuss the events of the week, problem solve parenting issues, all while dividing our attention with 3 running toddlers and 1 attention demanding preschooler.  They were the highlight of the week.  Well, 44 miles is too long for a dinner during the week when we don't get home from work until 6 or 6:30.  Our kids would be asleep or grumpy, we would be so rushed that we would eat cold pizza and beer every week.  Our first Wednesday came and went and it was quiet.  Thankfully, Emily and Brayden were here to watch A. and K. the next day.  But, this Wednesday will be especially quiet.  It will be a day of change that was needed for our family but will be sad all the same.

2) Our church-  B. and I both grew up in the church.  His mom was the Christian Educator for many years.  My best friends were in my youth group and my youth leaders are still some of the most influential and respected people in my life.  We have always attended church but since we had children, we became involved.  I worked in the nursery and B. practically ran the kids choir, which we jokingly called his mom's group.  It was sad to leave.  Selfishly, our pastor left a few weeks before us so that made it a bit easier.  Yesterday, we tried out a new church and though it was great, I found myself crying half way through because it wasn't the same.  Yes, it will be the church where my children grow up.  I'm sure I will love it, but Emily and Brayden weren't in the pew next to us and Martha wasn't behind us.  the band was different and we don't sit in pews.  I know, all things that won't matter for long but they mattered yesterday as my kids fought me and made a lot of noise while making paper airplanes with the visitor's packet.  It was me, and not them.  I wanted them with me instead of in their various classrooms because I was too nervous and needed a human shield.  I wanted to hold them in my lap and sing the songs with them.  Afterwards, A. went to sunday school and I took K. to visit the nursery.  They both just walked in the rooms and they were both happy and joyful.  So, next week we will move on.  I will let them grow and flourish and I will force myself to do so as well.

Finally 3) A.'s school/ K.'s daycare.  We searched and found a school for her that focused on play and social skills in a world that pushes academics even in preschool.  K. went to my dear friends house where he was loved almost as much as if he were at home with me.  Today they start their new daycare.  A. got up and got herself dressed and said, "Mommy, I woke up clapping because I was so excited."  K. just answers "Yesh" when we tell him about going to play with his new friends.  So, here we go.  It's probably me more nervous than them yet again.  But, please say an extra prayer for them (and for me) today and they make the change.
Welcome to our new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment