Wednesday, August 29, 2012

when the kids are away

There are so many ways that I could have started this blog.
1) We were so lucky to meet this awesome couple our first year in Richmond, Va.  They lived behind us and we spent almost every evening with them.  Jackie lowered her division 1 runner self to help me keep a pace for a whole 3 miles to run a 5k.  She could have run it in her sleep yet she chose to hang with me.  We had dinners together, grilling over 75% of them.  Yet, this wasn't the healthy grilling, B. once made steaks so big that Ryan had a hangover the next day.  Jackie planned a party complete with paper decorations on the night that B. got his job and we decided we were moving.  We were all excited for him yet crying at the same time.  However, they turned into my roomies for a year afterward so that i could finish my Master's degree.  Imagine giving up your home the first year of marriage and you get the graciousness that is this awesome family.

2) My kiddos are so lucky that their grandparents love to hang with them.  B's parents and my parents alternate weeks to stay one day with K.  This week, our babysitter was on vacation so my mom spent the ENTIRE week with K.  she then volunteered to stay the weekend with both kids so we could go out of town.  Though, I think they are both on a little withdrawal since Mommy isn't as fun.

3) Being a golf course superintendent has a lot of unspoken advantages.  Yes, our guys work REALLY hard outside in the heat for REALLY long hours.  They drive around in golf carts and drink A LOT of coffee.  And, they get to meet a lot of really cool people from vendors, to members, to coworkers.

Put all 3 of these together and you get why our weekend was so cool.  B. and I got to go see Ryan and Jackie in their new home (well 2.5 years after they moved)  These 2 superintendents spent their mornings golfing and their evenings grilling.  Jackie and I spent our mornings antiquing (something I've been missing out on for the last 31 years) and our evenings sipping wine and enjoying the food.

   Then, Saturday night, we took a shuttle to the Bristol Race to the box seats at the Bristol Raceway.  B., who actually pays enough attention to have a driver, Denny Hamlin, could have not been happier to wear his Kahki's and Italian Loafers and watch the race, and people for that matter, through the glass.  Then, actually got happier with Hamlin won.

America's sport.  

The view from behind the glass

They are smiling though I don't really know why.  The 5 minutes we spent down in the bleachers were SOOOO loud and I was getting yelled out by some lady with really huge ear phones for blocking her view.   

Did I forget to mention that we had pit passes and Jackie and I spent a good 50 laps watching the race from the track.  

Denny's truck for B.

Too bad for that car.

Go Denny!

 Thanks Ryan, Jackie, Mom, Dad, and The Olde Farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment