Thursday, December 22, 2011

mixed messages

We've tried really hard to make this Christmas about Jesus but, we also think it's fun to make believe.  So Santa definitely has a presence.  It's a smaller presence than in most homes, but he is still here never the less.  We have read the true birth of Jesus almost every night.  My child, now has a fear of Herod.  I think she is the only child ever that before she goes to bed asks if there are monsters, ghosts, or King Herod.  Here is a brief conversation that she had tonight as Daddy was putting her to bed.
A. Are you sure that there are no ghostes, monsters, scary things, or things that go like this (she then stretches out her eyes like in imitation of an Asian person)?  -- side note: I have no idea if she is really saying she is scared of Asians and if she is, I have no idea why--

B. I promise you are safe, go to sleep.

A. Does King Herod know where I live?  Is he coming?

B. He isn't coming, he died a long time ago and he lived very far away.

A. Did he live in the north pole?

B. No, that's Santa

A. Oh, because that is really far away too.


No comments:

Post a Comment