Sunday, December 21, 2014

a stark contrast


In stark contrast to K.'s first team sport, A.'s first team sport was amazing.  Yes, being 2.5 years older may make some sort of a difference.  What we weren't prepared for though, was the competitiveness of the other parents.  We, B. K., and I, all went to the first practice.  We just wanted to watch our girl for a bit.  I went in my running clothes with the misguided plan that I could watch for a few minutes and then run for the remaining 40.  Well, apparently, the culture is that we sit and watch.  Though, I get it that we don't want to leave our little girls in the hands of a stranger, I wasn't prepared for how involved that we must be.

  I have never watched or participated in a game of field hockey.  I didn't even know how many people were on the field at once.  However, some of the parents that have older kids are very knowledgable about the sport.  They are also very opinionated on when, where, and how their little girls are playing.  They did not go into the season thinking, "they will learn how to work as a team."  They did not plan on celebrating learning to hold a stick or stay on their side of the field.  They wanted to win.  


Well, here we go world, pink power is apparently in it to win it.  Hopefully, we will learn a few other things while we are at it.  I did learn that I won't be spending my M. and W. nights running as planned...

No comments:

Post a Comment