Tuesday, September 2, 2014

expectation of expectations

I want to start with a disclaimer:  this post is purely written because I know that someday, we will have a family vacation when our kids have kids.  Someday, they will be ready to leave to go wherever and feel nervous and worried about how it will go.  I want them to know that they are not alone!!! However, to my family, you did nothing but love and accept my kids and this expectation of expectations was all in my head.    

When we were packing to leave for this trip with 18 people on Brandon's side of the family and 4 on my side of the family, I was a bucket of nerves.  They were going to be the only kids in a home of 18 adults with 1 cousin down the street.  Would they behave?  Would they wake everyone up when they get up at 0 dark 30.  I spent the entire first day trying to keep them within my sight so that I could make sure they were respectful and polite.  When they weren't directly next to me, I was talking to people assuring them that they could correct them as needed and find me if they didn't feel comfortable.  Finally, my father in law said, "lets change your mindset from keeping them calm to letting us enjoy them."  huh, that's a different mindset.  Still, it took me until wed afternoon where I had a minor breakdown with B complaining that everyone else was getting to have the fun with them and I had to be only the disciplinarian, to calm myself down.  Hello, go have fun and stop worrying then....  












I mean, do those look like faces not having fun?

To my kids in the future:

Don't waste your first 3 days.  Let your kids enjoy you and enjoy everyone else.  They will make mistakes and we will still love them.  Everyone will still love them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment