Saturday, March 1, 2014

under a rock

When we moved to Small Town America, I knew that my kids would have different experiences.  I love that they know the sounds of a bull frog, help us with yard work including cutting fire wood, and can safely ride their bikes on our street.

A few weeks ago, on our way to swimming lessons, B. overheard A. and her best friend saying, "why is everything so far away?"  They were naming restaurants, ice cream shops, swimming lessons, and the movie theatre.  In their minds, everything was at least across 2 bridges or as far as Nanny and Pappy's house (about 4 hours away).

Sometimes, when we venture into the city, sometimes I agree with their estimations.  And, sometimes I question how sheltered that they are now.

We parked and walked about 5 blocks to the Children's Museum.  A few comments from our lovely sheltered kids.
K:  Mommy, why is so many peoples here?
A: Mommy, what is that bird?  It doesn't come to our house? (referring to a pigeon)
K: Mommy, why is she yelling? (referring to the woman screaming that Jehovah was going to come and get Satan soon.  I believe that she was referring to the man standing across the street from her.  I'm not sure if he was supposed to be Satan or Jehovah.)






The trip was well worth it.  But, when we got home, both of my kiddos said, "yay, home!" Welcome back to Small Town America. You are here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment