Thursday, November 14, 2013

the move

This happened a long time ago, but if I don't blog about it, it never happened... right...

A. and I went to a free play this summer and her first question was, "when can I do that?" Well, now, I guess.  We found a little children's theater and she went every Friday for 1 hour for 5 weeks.  Her first week, she came running out saying, "Mom, I got the part."  Well honey, I hate to break it to ya but every kid got a part. hehe.


Those of you that know me, know that my first career was as a recreation therapist.  Every single Thursday, a lovely music therapist would lead us in kids songs with all of our patients that lived at the hospital.  Then, every Thursday afternoon until Wed night, I would sing Raffi and Barney songs in my head.  "This is a song about colors, colors, you see them everywhere...." My favorite was "Brush your teeth."  

When you wake up in the morning and it's quarter to 2, you don't know what to do, you brush your teeth.  ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch

What?  No you don't

Well, this play was "Baby Baluga"  Imagine my happiness when they sent A. home with a CD of all Raffi songs.  Yay!!!  
When you wake up in the morning and it's quarter to 4 you hear a knock at the door, you brush your teeth.  ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch

It's even more ridiculous now....


Well, it turns out that A. did get "the part".  It was the only part with a "move".  Most people had 1 line or maybe 2.  A.'s line was, "I know what you mean, I still feel drowsy, I aught to wake up, but I still feel lazy and lousy.  Then, after Shake Your Sillies Out, her line was, "we jumped and clapped, we clapped and jumped, I don't know about you, but I'm totally pumped."  She was supposed to jump and flex her muscles on "pumped"  We went round and round for weeks.  "Mom, no one else does a move."  "Mom, what if people laugh at me?"  I wanted to tell her that the play would only hold a parents attention while their specific kid was on stage, but I thought she may not like that.  I wanted to tell her that the line wasn't especially funny, but again, I thought she may not like that.  I did tell her that I would be proud of her either way, move or no move.  I also told her that if people laugh, it meant that she did a good job.  Imagine that, but my advice didn't work.  It didn't work until Granny J. came and acted totally crazy jumping around being "pumped".  I guess if Granny J. can look ridiculous, A. can too. :")


The night of the show arrived and of course, it was the worst traffic ever.  Her acting coach, Granny J. sat in traffic instead of hearing Baby Baluga, Shake Your Sillies Out, and Brush Your Teeth.  The good thing was, A. did do the ever anticipated move.  And... a few people were even paying enough attention to laugh.


Way to go, A!!  We're so proud of your theatre debut. Maybe you'll have a future in Music Therapy.  I know a great mentor!

No comments:

Post a Comment