Saturday, July 6, 2013

something unexpected

I mentioned before that our egress window is now a trap for any and all small animals.  Though I love that my kids are interested in saving them and love to look, chase, touch, and basically terrify each and every one of these animals, I'm not all about getting in there myself.  Thankfully, our neighbor doesn't mind.

He found 6 frogs that had jumped to their impending demise without his saving grace.  He taught both kids how to find them and pick them up.  They probably chased them for 30 minutes.  Well then, momma opened her big mouth and said something like, "maybe we should cook them and have frog legs."  I. was. kidding.  Our neighbor said, "Oh yeah, that is so good. But, these are too small, we need to go get the big ones down in the pond."  Insert foot in mouth.  Now I back peddled with as many excuses as I could.
1) me: Well, I don't really know how to cook them.
neighbor: do you have a big pot, it's pretty easy


2) me: Don't you have to skin them. i don't know if I could do that.
neighbor: we can youtube it.  That's how I learned before

3) me: uuummm

So, The kids put on their rain boots and grabbed their nets.  .





Neighbor was so cute with them.  He held their hands when they were close to the water.  He didn't get frustrated when A. kept trying to yell to tell me that they saw one.  


He didn't get frustrated when K. got scared and wanted to come back up to the safety of the bank of the pond.  He just walked him back up.  He didn't get frustrated when A.'s boot filled with water and she had to come back and dump them out.  He basically didn't get frustrated at all.  

He just walked around with them searching for over an hour.  He only stopped when a 3 foot snake was laying on a pile of rocks.  Thankfully, this happened before they caught a frog


Moral of the story, be grateful that my kids get these experiences with only my distant supervision and shut your mouth or it may not be distant supervision!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment