Tuesday, July 17, 2012

sleep worries

I come from a long line of sleep worriers.  These are people that sleep like rocks but, if they wake up, spend several hours worrying about whats to come.  When my brother and I were in high school, we always had to wake up my dad when coming home at curfew so my mom wouldn't be up for hours. Until a few months ago, this was not the case for me.  I did sleep like a rock so that the only things waking me were the kids; much to B.'s chagrin, the dogs don't ever awaken me.  I was in a forced routine to wake and feed the baby then immediately fall back to sleep.  However, since K. finally started sleeping through the night at 13 months, if someone wakes up, I am up.  Fortunately, this only happens with the occasional night time accident or bad dream.  Last night was one of those nights.

K. woke up at 12:00 SCREAMING.  I first thought he was cold so gave him a long sleeve shirt and laid him back down.  That lasted about 5 minutes before B. was back in there and K practically leaped out of his bed.  He was terrified about something.  Perhaps the box that A. but on the outside of his bed so that I could stand on it if I became too short to reach into his crib at night.  I could see why a shrinking mother could scare a kid.  I don't know, but it took 45 minutes in our bed and then me laying down on his cold hard floor for another 30 minutes to get him to stay in bed. I was staying there until he feel asleep; about 25 minutes into it, I realized he was asleep and the incessant babbling was sleep babbling.  This is crazy since he's a pretty quiet kid while he is awake.  I guess he was dreaming about baamamama and ish isg.

I finally fell back to sleep about 2:20.  At 2:45, A. came in because she had a dream that someone bit her.  I let her into our bed so that I was squished between my husband aka the human furnace and A. aka ms. kicky punchy.  As I was still watching the clock at 3:50 am, she started talking.  here are her words:
Uncle Mark
Princess
Tatoo

She is worried that uncle mark is getting a princess tatoo, or a princess is getting a tatoo of uncle mark.  Either option is scary and worth talking about.

We both drifted back to sleep, I missed my 5:30 work out and didn't wake up until B. kissed me goodbye at 5:45.  A. was still talking then, something about hands on her head.  Again, drifted back to sleep and didn't wake until 6:20 when the bubble guppies began blaring on my kindle letting me know this sleep worrier that apparently breeds more sleep worriers needed to wake up.

Here's to a caffeine filled day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment