Saturday, July 28, 2012

aunts by choice make up for my slackerness

A couple of weeks ago, A. and I got into a discussion about the definition of Aunt.  I said the obvious answer, "It is the girl married to my brother and daddy's brother."  Thankfully, we don't have sisters which would make the explanation harder.  However, that didn't cut it because we call our close friends "Aunt".  I tried, "those are people that choose to be your aunt."  I don't think that is right either b/c, well, correct me if I'm wrong but Aunt J. and Aunt B. kind of chose to be aunts as well.  Not related by blood didn't work b/c that is just confusing.  For lack of better options, we still went with Aunt by choice.  

Aunt Stacy has been my friend for over 10 years since we worked at Children's Hospital of Richmond together.  She, thankfully moved fairly close to us after we moved away from Richmond so we still get to see each other frequently.  She was one of the first people to hold A. after she was born and has been a huge part of her life (and ours) since then.  She has a beach house which is reportedly A. favoritest house ever.  She is so much a part of our family that she and Aspen share a birthday (that's only important b/c we didn't really know Aspen's birthday so we just made it up to honor her).   She made up for my lack of blogging by talking about  one of our evenings together. A messy messy evening with cupcakes, ooblek, and wax on the walls.  Check out alphabet stew here    

Aunt Emily has been a great friend of ours since a little before A. was born.  She was also at the hospital when A. was born and was in the room when K. was born.  K. and her son are less than 48 hours apart and were in the hospital together.  Though we expected the boys to be best friends, A. and Brayden are actually 2 peas in a pod.  Emily blogged about their first date here.  PS leave a comment for her about how she should move with us to our new neighborhood so that we can keep the kids close.  She is very receptive.  hehe

Thanks ladies, for making up for my lack of blogging and for loving my kids.  They are really lucky!    

No comments:

Post a Comment