Sunday, May 15, 2011

a traumatic balloon

Let me start this off by saying that A. was FANTASTIC today.  She did well in the church service then played with some new people in the nursery and then we headed to Costco.  We got all of our groceries and had lunch, I know, we are ridiculously suburban.  Anyway, it is the Children's Miracle Network drive at Costco.  They were selling balloon's with a lollipop for $1 to benefit CMN; these are perhaps A.'s 2 favorite things.  So, of course, she wanted one.  I check my pockets and B. checks his pockets... only 56 cents.  What do we do now?  Do we
1)tell her no and go with the explanation of generosity and giving
2)beg for a balloon for my little girl that has been so well behaved today.

Well, we started with #1... that we didn't have enough money, the money was for kids that were sick so we should give extra and not less.  Poor baby was so sad.  She cried but not temper tantrum cried, she buried her head in my shoulder and cried out of genuine sadness.  It was breaking my heart.  So, I decided to forego the lesson that I know she wasn't grasping anyway.  I took my crying child and went to the customer service desk and asked if we could have one for $.56.  She, of course, couldn't say no to the traumatized 2 year old and she even let A. pick her color.  A. was so delighted that I even saw her kiss the balloon one time this afternoon.  I, however, have extreme guilt over the $.44 and the missed lesson.  I know this is ridiculous but who denies a sick kid $.44?  I guess the answer is, me.

Anyone want to give $.44 next time they see CMN to make this silly mom feel better?

1 comment:

  1. Um, you basically work for a CMN hospital so I think you have a pretty easy avenue to rectify this. You are also so suburban that I can guarantee you'll be back at Costco within the month and you'll make sure you have more cash on you next time. Problem solved, guilt be gone!

    Now, more importantly, I love her dress! Some very logical person with good taste must have given it to her. :-)

    ReplyDelete