Wednesday, February 20, 2013

removing the city

Our old house was on the corner of 2 busy streets.  A lot of times people would zoom past the stop sign oblivious to their surroundings.  My children were taught NEVER to go in the street. Even at age 1, K. knew to stop at the edge of the sidewalk when his ball went in the street.  Now, we live at the end of the road with only about 6 other houses.  I could count the number of cars on one hand that pass each day.  Since we live in new construction, the sidewalks are being completed as each house gets done.  That means that our sidewalk goes about 10 feet.

On one warm day, we took the kids out to ride their bikes.  They both tried to go to the end of the sidewalk and turn around.  It went something like this--
A. Mommy, can you give me a push
I subsequently gave a push
7 seconds later
A. I'm at the end can you help me to turn around?
2 seconds later
A. can you give me a push?

repeat, repeat.  I told her she was allowed in the street now and she just didn't believe me.  She cried and cried.  We took her bike to the basement and she was much happier there.

Fast forward a few weeks and this happened


 Beautiful snow where my children couldn't tell the difference between the street and the sidewalk.  A. was doing snow angels in the street.  And, from then on, they have both become desensitized.




So, we moved to the sticks and my kids love fire and run in the street.  hhmmm... maybe this wasn't the wisest move on raising safe kids

1 comment: