Saturday, November 10, 2012

probably too much information

K. may hate me later for blogging about this, but it was a CRAZY morning that just means that I need to share.

 Yesterday, our morning started just as any other Friday.

5:45 am- I woke up and contemplated going down to work out.  However, since it was Friday, I knew that the trash truck would be there in 15 minutes thus making sure everyone in the Collins house was awake.  I was correct.
6:05- A. came into our room saying, "Hi, Mommy." and K. from his bedroom going, "Ma. Ma"  So we started the day.

6:10- I go in and change K.'s diaper.  I see a strange red lump on his testicle.  He is saying "oweee" everytime that I get near it. I immediately call B. since I figure he is more of an expert on testicles than I am.  He agrees, says its probably nothing and tells me to call the nurses line.

6:15 am - The lovely nurse asks if I've called before and then looks up my name and sees the names of both of my children.  Then proceeds to ask me how A.'s head is after she fell off her bed... 2 YEARS ago.  OK, so I have called a lot... We talk for a few minutes and then says that we should have that checked out right away.  She asks me questions about it making me torture my poor son who at this point is willing to fall off of the changing table just to get away from me.  I think the nurse is sparing me from the possibilities of what it could be.  She says calmly that we should call our doctor and if not we should go to the ER.  OK.... I wasn't expecting that.  I call B. back and he wasn't expecting that either.  We agree to wait until our Dr. office is open and go there first.

The next hour goes typically.  I get the kids breakfast and go get my shower.  we are all moving a little slower since I know there is no way that I'm going to make it to my 9:00 patient.

About 7:45- I come down stairs after getting ready and gathering the kids clothes and see this...


My little girl has decided that she is a surgeon and cut a slit in the 1 remaining pumpkin with a combination of a butter and a grapefruit knife.  She's scooping out the goo and saying, "You'll feel better soon."  I again, wish that I could be a stay at home mom and let her continue this.  I envision a doctor's kit and setting up chairs for a waiting room.  Instead, I remove the knives and giver her a bigger bowl along with a 10 minute warning before we need to get dressed.  

Meanwhile, I call the doctor as soon as it opens.  They agree that he needs to be seen and are squeezing us in at 8:30.  That's right, 30 minutes from that exact moment when I told A. she could play for 10 more then get dressed and go to school, which just so happens to be 15 minutes away.  

CRAP

We kick it into high gear.  The pumpkin and bowl go outside and wait for later in the day.  A. gets herself dressed and I go to change K.'s diaper and clothes.  Imagine that, the lump is gone.  Great... I'm going to rush over there and the doctor will think I'm insane... I decide to go anyway since a testicle lump is apparently a big deal.  

8:05- We finally get out the door to drive 15 minutes out of the way to drop A. off at school before coming back across the street to make our appointment.

8:17- we pull up at school (yes i was speeding).  A. decides this is the day that she will be sad when I leave her and asks for hug after hug after hug.  

8:18- my heart rips out of my chest as I leave her telling her I don't have time for more hugs...

8:20- I'm driving so fast to the doctor that K. is saying "WWWEEEEEEEE" in the back seat.

8:33- we pull into the parking lot and I run up the stairs with him only to realize that I forgot the HSA card.  They decide to bill us and we finally sit down to inevitably wait.

8:48- they call us back and K. looks like such a big boy walking up to get weighed.  He doesn't know what is about to come.  

8:51- The doctor examines him and then gives me a brief developmental history of testicles. Apparently, K.'s testicle appendecis was tworked and needed untworking.  This appendecis is not useful and doesn't really matter.  However, if it had been the entire testicle, he would have lost it.  The doctor did assure me that if one is lost, the other enlarges to take over.  uummmm... thanks for the comfort... maybe.  The untworking is surprisingly easy and not painful 

Anyway, we rushed and rushed and this little guy is thankfully just as sweet and innocent without a giant testicle.   





No comments:

Post a Comment