Thursday, November 1, 2012

mommy's rule about messes

On Sunday, A. went to Sunday School.  Before I start with the story, let me just say that I was super impressed that with only a few questions from her teacher, she can recount the story of Moses. Anyway,  Sunday was their last week with Moses and they were talking about the 10 commandments.  They started with how the commandments were God's rules for people.  Each kid had to say a rule that they follow.  A's rule was, "messes are ok, but you have to clean them up."  Though I don't think that this rule is nearly as important as though shalt not kill, I'm pretty excited that it was her number 1 rule.

I know this rule came to her mind because I must say it 100 times a day.  And, I also allow my kids to make more than the average messes.  Here is a prime example...

We left town a while ago and my parents had both kids for the weekend.  i game my mom a recipe of clear glue and liquid starch to make this gooey mess. I guess it wasn't a huge success, according to my mom, but the picture were pretty cute (no, I don't have any of them).   I saved this gooey mess in a tupperware to see if it could again be fun on another day.  We used it one other time with cookie cutters for about 15 minutes and then again put it away.  Still not a super success like I was expecting.  Well, during frankenstorm, K. needed a little something to keep him entertained for a bit.

He pulled this apart and rolled it and stamped it for a good 20 minutes.  This is good for his little attention span.  It was going so well that I started to get a little lax.  K. looked at B. for a second and stretched the mess over his eyes and said "glasses" well it sounded more like "gase" but I digress.  I then left his immediate side to go get a tissue and this is what I came back to...



 I tried to pull it out for a few minutes as he was screaming before realizing that it was no use.  There goes his forever unruly yet so adorable hair.
 good thing Daddy was home to perform the cut, I don't know if I could have brought myself to cut it...
look how calm and pathetic he looks

note the remnants of the goo on his hands.  sooo sad

A.'s response to her brother's new hair cut

He kept saying, "hair" and trying to touch it all day.  When he saw himself in the mirror he was pretty confused.  He just pointed at himself, then his hair, then himself, all will a very sad face.

The crazy thing, I put the goo back in it's box for use on another day. ... After all, messes are ok as long as you clean them up.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the new haircut in person this weekend!

    ReplyDelete