Monday, April 4, 2016

Take 2

Over the summer, I found myself yelling at K. more frequently.  OK, was it a 4 year old boy thing or could this kid really not hear me?  K. and A. both had ear tubes when they were infants.  They inherited bad ear anatomy and short little legs from their Daddy.  Despite his history, B. thought that he could hear and the problem was listening.  So, we waited a bit.  Then, in November, K. failed his school hearing screening.  They thought it was probably fall allergies.  I had a newborn at the time so I wasn't overly concerned.  However, when he failed again in December, it was time to revisit his ENT.  Yep, a failed hearing test.  However, the doctor just wanted to try to have him pop his ears everynight for about a month and see if the fluid went away.  Bad mom alert... we only had him try to blow up the baloon to pop his ears a handful of times.  Who thinks about blowing up balloons after a the other million things that this busy family lis doing during the day?  Needless to say, his hearing did not get better.  It, instead, got worse.  So, last friday, this little champion got his second set of ear tubes.


He wasn't worried at all.  He was pretty psyched because we told him that if they took out his adenoids as well, he would get ice cream for lunch...


I went back with them as he was falling asleep.  He was chatting with the anesthesiologist for a few minutes. 
 Doctor:   "What do you like to do?"
K:  "I like to draw."  
Doctor:  "What do you like to draw?"
K.:  "I.  ddddrrrraaawwww.    mmmmoonnnssssttttteeeerrrrrssss
K.:  silently laughing 
Doctor:  ok, I think he is sufficiently asleep

20 minutes later, this was my boy
Poor guy felt hungover yet didn't get to participate in the fun leading up to being hung over...

1 hour later...

Back to himself

Well, no more bad dad thinking that K. just can't listen.  No more bad mom slacking on appointments and ear popping.  And, no more excuses for my boy.  




No comments:

Post a Comment